Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Oh My God! Your a what? Why?



These are common reactions that I receive from people when I tell them that I am a Vegan. Yes, I am a Vegan. I know this may seem strange coming from someone with a farming, ranching and hunting background when in reality it just makes more sense. My grandfather was a farmer. He had land and raised pigs, chickens, turkeys, cows and vegetables. He did this in a simpler time. All the animals roamed around, breathed fresh air and ate corn, wheat and good ol' homemade table scraps. My mother witnessed my grandmother killing chickens for dinner and it was over in a matter of seconds and very humane. I have not one single issue with this way of life. In fact, I really respect the hard work and the care that was put into raising healthy animals. My mom tells a story of a weanling pig that my Grandma got extremely attached to and actually kept it as a pet. I do however have a huge problem with factory farming in all its aspects. The big companies dump animals into crowded and unclean pens, pump them full of antibiotics, leave sick ones to be trampled, and kill those who do not produce. I am a lover of animals and therefore for years I felt like a hypocrite every time I cut up that steak, ham or chicken breast and put it in my mouth. Factory farming has a huge impact on the environment as well. It creates large manure cesspools that leak into groundwater and methane gas that pollutes the air. Consuming and producing meat on such an enormous scale takes an unbelievable amount of grain, corn, wheat and water. Think about how many food shortages and worldwide hunger problems could be solved if more people strived for a vegetarian diet? I am not a Nazi-Vegan. My fiance and my daughter eat meat, its just not the right choice for me. I feel that if more people really educated themselves and became conscious of how that steak got on their plate, more people would be Vegan and Vegetarian. This is a quick rundown of factory farming if you would like to learn a little more http://www.idausa.org/facts/factoryfarmfacts.html . Thank you for listening!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You rock Polly Page!! Cool writing...your friend, Caren Gillette